... Our Wonderful Journey to Parenthood ...


Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Lying

I stumbled upon a set of parenting advises while surfing the internet one night. This slide caught my attention - because Eunice did tell lie for a short period of time (throwing away her lunch but told me she finished them). I often wonder then, how did she learn to lie? Was it because of me? It took me a while to tell her not to tell lie, and also to remind myself not to overreact to a small matter, but instead, I tried to spend time talking to her to understand why or the reasons behind.



That's why this slide caught my attention and I reflected a little. And after I read this, an incident happened the next day. This time, I remembered and applied what I read.
(Re-post from my facebook post)

A cooled iron, which was in standing position, now on a sitting position and the water spilled on the storage box.
EG: WHO DID THIS? WHO TOUCHED THE IRON?
Two girls dashed over.
Nat: (Instantly) Not me!!!
I looked at Eunice.
Eunice: (Blank face) What happened?
EG: Who went and put the iron down? All the water spilled.
Eunice: Not me.
EG: It has to be one of you!
I asked again: Who touched the iron?
Nat: Not me!!
I asked Eunice: Is it you?
Eunice: (Blank face) No...
I squatted down to Nat's level and looked into her big round eyes, and asked softly: Mei, is it you?
Nat: No!
Me: Mei, please don't lie. Is it you?
Nat: No....
Me: It is you, right? Don't lie, Mei.
Nat: (Softer now) No.....
Me: Daddy is not angry. He just wants to know who did it. There's a camera in his room. If he finds out you're lying he'll get really angry.
Nat: (Immediately hugged me really tight and eyes got teary)
Me: Is it you?
Nat: (Sobbed and nodded)
Me: Why? You wanted to iron clothes is it?
Nat: (Continued sobbing and nodding)
Then I passed to daddy for some cuddle time....
This morning, I asked her: Why did you lie yesterday?
Nat: I don't want daddy to get really angry....
Me: He's not angry. He just wanted to know who did it. Can you lie next time?
Nat: No.
Me: Good.

EG and I actually still laughed whenever we talked about it. I can't forget how the little girl hugging me tightly, biting her lips, and still trying to say "Not me" with a guilt face and teary eyes - probably her heart and mind were battling. I told EG that I could have scolded Nat badly because I was sure it was her. But I remember what I read. Until today, she remembers it too and still will tell me, we cannot lie. 
Retrospectively, I also try to imagine if we would have let this go, how will this impact on a 3yo? She might find out that by telling lies, she's "safe" from being punished. And how would her young and innocent mind process this incident if we didn't have time to talk it through?
Anyway, I thank God that it ended well. It's a very good parenting experience for both me and EG too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Mamabeh

If getting married is a big decision in one's life, having children is a even bigger milestone in life! Having a life growing inside not only change us physically, mentally & our daily life routines, but it's also amazing that how we have grown closer to move forward for the new life ahead of us.

Eunice's Growth

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers


Day 1 @ 0 mth @ 3.28kg, 50cm
Wk 5 @ 1 mth @ 4.80kg, 51cm
Wk 9 @ 2 mth @ 5.60kg, 52cm
Wk 14 @ 3 mth @ 6.55kg, 57cm
Wk 17 @ 4 mth @ 6.90kg, 61cm
Wk 21 @ 5 mth @ 7.40kg, 62cm
Wk 26 @ 6 mth @ 7.70kg, 64cm
Wk 30 @ 7 mth @ 8.10kg, 67cm
Wk35 @ 8 mth @ 8.30kg, 68cm
Wk40 @ 9 mth @ 8.50kg, 70cm
12 months @ 9kg, 70cm
13 months @ 9.35kg, 74cm
14.5 months @ 9.4kg, 74cm
17 months @ 9.9kg, 74cm
18.5 months @ 10.4kg, 77cm
2 yrs @ 11.5kg, 84cm
2 yrs 5 mth @ 11.9kg, 85cm
2 yrs 8 mth @ 12.2kg, 86.5cm
4 yrs 9 mth @ 17kg

Natalie's Growth

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Day 1 @ 0 mth @ 3.36kg, 51cm
Wk 5 @ 1 mth @ 4.70kg, 55cm
Wk 10 @ 2 mth @ 5.82kg, 57cm
Wk13 @ 3 mth @ 6.40kg, 59cm
Wk18 @ 4 mth @ 6.82kg, 61.5cm
Wk23 @ 5 mth @ 7.13kg, 65cm
Wk29 @ 6 mth @ 7.60kg, 66cm
12.5 mth @ 8.64kg, 70cm
13.5 mth @ 8.86kg, 70cm
18 mth @ 9.20kg, 76cm
2 yrs 1 mth @ 11.3kg, 83.5cm
2 yrs 2 mth @ 12kg

Pageviews Last Week

Popular Posts

Nuffnang Ads

Google Analytics