A week before we went to KL, while Eunice is 8.5 months old, Eunice had some fever. We fed her infant paracetamol (PCM) and it subsided. A week later after we came back from KL, her fever came back, and it's high. Hitting 39C. We had to give her suppository through her back in order to bring her fever down.
We brought her to Island Hospital for Dr Dan to check. She just had her PCM and her fever subsided then. And she remained active and was playing with the nurse. Dr Dan said she looked perfectly OK. So, we sent her back to her babysitter. When we picked Eunice up, babysitter told me they fed Eunice PCM at every 6 hourly (instead of 4 hourly) and it seems like her fever is under control. So, I felt rather relieved.
Her last feed of PCM on that Friday was 4.30pm. I was thinking even if it's 4 hourly, we should feed her last PCM at 8.30pm before she sleeps. When we reached home around 7.30pm, I told EG i think Eunice is rather warm. To our shock, her temp went up again to 39C. So, again, we gave her suppository to bring the temp down.
At night, Eunice woke up and cried. When I picked her up, I felt that she's so warm. I quickly shouted at EG to get him to get the thermometer to check on Eunice and to our shock, her temp had shot up to 39.8C! Quickly we brought her to another room with no air cond, and EG brought a tub of water and I kept sponging her. At the same time, we gave her suppository again. However, her temperature couldn't go down. And she was shivering a bit and still trying to babble. I remember my friend's suggestion to dip baby into water to bring the temperature down, and so I did, at 3am! Thank God after that, her temperature went down to 37C. And I actually called in to Island Hospital asking if I should admit her. But since her temperature already went back to normal, we have decided to bring her to hospital the next day.
So, the next day Saturday, there we went again to Island Hospital. This time, they took Eunice's blood for blood test and tried to collect her urine for test too. Talking about blood test, I was trying to imagine how do you take baby's blood esp. they will struggle. The nurse actually wrapped Eunice up in a blanket tightly, leaving one arm out. And that's how they drew her blood. Eunice was crying, but not because of pain because the moment it's done and when I picked her up, she's quiet. But I think she didn't like to be wrapped up and got poked. No one likes it. The result was out in less than an hour and thank God that the blood test shows everything is OK and hence Dr Dan said no antibiotic is needed.
As for the urine test, you must be wondering how do collect baby's urine since they don't take instruction.. :).. They sticked a plastic bag "there" so that when baby urinate, the urine will be collected. The problem is we waited from 10.30am to 1pm, Eunice wasn't urinating yet.
We went home. And to cut the story short, EG and I woke up every hour to check her temperature. It was really so tiring for both of us. And at 5am, Eunice passed motion and while I changed her diaper, not only I notice her stool was loose, also her diaper was light. She wasn't urinating much. I know my baby well, she urinates A LOT. Sometimes until the mamypoko diaper overflows! But this time she's not urinating. So, at 5am, I called into ISland to get ready with Eunice's file, and off we went to admit her.
Eunice was especially cranky in the hospital. Besides, she didn't want to drink too. Neither from my breast nor from the bottle. Actually she drank, but not to her usual 3 hours schedule. It's dragged to 5 hours sometimes. We had to get the nurse's help to syringe feed her. After every feed, she'll poo loose stool. However, thank God that her temperature was back to normal in hosp. The max it went up to 38.5 and after 1/2 day, her temperature was all back to normal. But she's still esp. cranky. We thought there was wind in her tummy - as she was passing gas, and still passing loose stool. So, EG and I were carrying her the whole day, walking up and down the hospital aisle. She only slept in the cot for 5 hours herself (allowing me to sleep for 5 hours on the lazy chair as well), before I had to carry her again to rock her / let her sleep on me.
We brought her to Island Hospital for Dr Dan to check. She just had her PCM and her fever subsided then. And she remained active and was playing with the nurse. Dr Dan said she looked perfectly OK. So, we sent her back to her babysitter. When we picked Eunice up, babysitter told me they fed Eunice PCM at every 6 hourly (instead of 4 hourly) and it seems like her fever is under control. So, I felt rather relieved.
Her last feed of PCM on that Friday was 4.30pm. I was thinking even if it's 4 hourly, we should feed her last PCM at 8.30pm before she sleeps. When we reached home around 7.30pm, I told EG i think Eunice is rather warm. To our shock, her temp went up again to 39C. So, again, we gave her suppository to bring the temp down.
At night, Eunice woke up and cried. When I picked her up, I felt that she's so warm. I quickly shouted at EG to get him to get the thermometer to check on Eunice and to our shock, her temp had shot up to 39.8C! Quickly we brought her to another room with no air cond, and EG brought a tub of water and I kept sponging her. At the same time, we gave her suppository again. However, her temperature couldn't go down. And she was shivering a bit and still trying to babble. I remember my friend's suggestion to dip baby into water to bring the temperature down, and so I did, at 3am! Thank God after that, her temperature went down to 37C. And I actually called in to Island Hospital asking if I should admit her. But since her temperature already went back to normal, we have decided to bring her to hospital the next day.
So, the next day Saturday, there we went again to Island Hospital. This time, they took Eunice's blood for blood test and tried to collect her urine for test too. Talking about blood test, I was trying to imagine how do you take baby's blood esp. they will struggle. The nurse actually wrapped Eunice up in a blanket tightly, leaving one arm out. And that's how they drew her blood. Eunice was crying, but not because of pain because the moment it's done and when I picked her up, she's quiet. But I think she didn't like to be wrapped up and got poked. No one likes it. The result was out in less than an hour and thank God that the blood test shows everything is OK and hence Dr Dan said no antibiotic is needed.
As for the urine test, you must be wondering how do collect baby's urine since they don't take instruction.. :).. They sticked a plastic bag "there" so that when baby urinate, the urine will be collected. The problem is we waited from 10.30am to 1pm, Eunice wasn't urinating yet.
We went home. And to cut the story short, EG and I woke up every hour to check her temperature. It was really so tiring for both of us. And at 5am, Eunice passed motion and while I changed her diaper, not only I notice her stool was loose, also her diaper was light. She wasn't urinating much. I know my baby well, she urinates A LOT. Sometimes until the mamypoko diaper overflows! But this time she's not urinating. So, at 5am, I called into ISland to get ready with Eunice's file, and off we went to admit her.
Eunice was especially cranky in the hospital. Besides, she didn't want to drink too. Neither from my breast nor from the bottle. Actually she drank, but not to her usual 3 hours schedule. It's dragged to 5 hours sometimes. We had to get the nurse's help to syringe feed her. After every feed, she'll poo loose stool. However, thank God that her temperature was back to normal in hosp. The max it went up to 38.5 and after 1/2 day, her temperature was all back to normal. But she's still esp. cranky. We thought there was wind in her tummy - as she was passing gas, and still passing loose stool. So, EG and I were carrying her the whole day, walking up and down the hospital aisle. She only slept in the cot for 5 hours herself (allowing me to sleep for 5 hours on the lazy chair as well), before I had to carry her again to rock her / let her sleep on me.
When the doctor came the next day to check on her, the nurse told him that Eunice drank breastmilk - though not much but she drank. And Dr Dan said oh it's very good. Since she's drinking mummy's milk, then she doesn't need to go on drip. Phew! Imagine my relief when I heard that!!
The not-so-happy looking girl watching casper in her wardDoctor suspected that Eunice was having roseola - a kind of baby measles. I did notice some rashes on her cheek and doc told me it's very safe and once the rash comes, it means the baby will be ok then. Since Eunice didn't have fever anymore, we discharged her the next day.
Taking care of sick baby is never fun. Eunice got extra clingy to me (maybe she's still not feeling comfortable) after she came back from hospital. And still, she's not drinking as much as she used to. We had to syringe feed her a bit before she was willing to drink direct from me.
We sent her to bbsitter the next day. Her rashes came out on her face first and later spread to the body. Thank God the rashes are not painful / itchy. After 2 days, the rashes subsided (that's FAST as normally it takes 5-7 days according to the internet). And one day when I went and picked up Eunice, the kakak who takes care of Eunice told me her tooth has came out! I was very surprise as we still haven't gotten over the fever + roseola thingy yet and her tooth came after that! But of course we're very happy. Sometimes I think parents are funny creatures - we'll just get extra ecstatic over baby's development. :o)
And when Eunice hit her 9 months, bbsitter called me one day while I was late in picking up Eunice as I was stucked in the heavy rain - telling me that my baby has been extra cranky. Didn't want to drink much & kept crying. Of course I got worried. And I noticed that at home too when I took care of her myself. It seems like only my breasts can soothe her and I was exhausted & complaining to EG - how could someone drink so much?!! Later on we suspected that Eunice's 2nd tooth was cutting out as she had almost all the teething symptoms mentioned in babycenter. That's why she's so cranky. She's crying almost all the time and this is the first time having me seeing her crying coming out from bbsitter's place as she's always coming out happily playing with kakak. :(
None of the teether helped her. Eunice has 4 teethers and none of it helps. Some told me feeding cold fruits helps - I tried, and she vomitted! We bought Dentinox teething gel for her too and it doesn't seem to help much. :(... I couldn't seem to find any way to help her. But I really thank God that her tooth finally cut out after 2 dramatic days!!
So now, Eunice is back as a happy girl - with her two front teeth. :D
And mummy is stuffing her with fruits / nutritious food that she can to build up her immunity system.
And daddy is already eyeing on other "not-that-cheap" teethers to help his precious, hoping that her next teething experience will be a better one.
It's NEVER fun to take care of a sick baby. And teething is NOT FUN too.


No comments:
Post a Comment