Warning: This is a looooooooong post, summarizing Eunice's first school experience.
I have started to look for Eunice's school since she's only 18mo. Well, you can call me kiasu, but to my horror, a lot of schools are fully booked even though I only wanted to enrol her into a playschool at 3yo.
EG and I have our own expectations on the education that we want our children to have. Well, some might say we're weird, or have rather unusual expectations, however, it's something that both me and him are "aligned" about. Funny! We're from different towns, went through different education system (he's english ed, I'm chinese ed), we only met in the same university, but we have the same ideas or expectations when we talk about our children's education - on what we want or don't want them to go through, and how we think their education should be.
I have short listed a Montessori Pre-school for Eunice since she's 20mo. The principal spent 1.5 hours going through their school system and showed us around the school. She told me not to decide so soon but to visit other pre-schools before I make my decision. I did. I went and visited other pre-schools but none of them impressed me as much as Kidiland. I registered Eunice since beginning 2012 and was waiting eagerly for 2013 to let her start school.
However, during my confinement month with Natalie in Sep 2012, I received a call from the school, telling me that they have decided to close the 3yo class as they found many young children fell sick very often, as their immune system is not strong enough yet and the viral spread really fast. Hence, they have decided to close down the 3yo class starting 2013. Imagine my disappointment!
Friends who know me well know that I'll be pretty persistent to get things that I really want. I called up the principal almost every month, suggesting weekend classes, activities, or other classes for my 3yo. I am not being kiasu, but I am pretty sure that Eunice was ready to go school. At 3yo, she speaks very clear and very well, she was toilet trained, she could tell what she wants. I need her to learn up how to social in a school setting, and I want her to build up self confidence - not so much of knowing how to write or read yet. I want her to learn mandarin too! And the most valid reason is that she's born early of the year in 2010.
After months of "harassment", finally, the principal allowed Eunice to join in for a week - to test and see if she's ready for school. I was sooo happy! We sat in on the first day - just to know how the school runs. She didn't cry, but she sticked to me. However, I can see her being very interested in the class when teachers showed them how to count, or when teacher read stories to them. She could also play with some of the activities. And next day onwards, we didn't sit in anymore. We drove her to school, and we left after dropping her. She cried of course - she's a manja girl. I called in school to check on her after 1 hour and most of the time, teachers will tell me that she's settled after a while. They actually commented that she's very brave, she'd settle down after teachers explained to her that daddy & mummy went to work and will pick her up in a while. *Proud*
First day in school - welcome note for Eunice
March 2013 - Eunice in her uniform
March 2013 - It's PE day! Eunice in her t-shirt & short pants
March 2013 - Back view. She looked so small and so cute then. :)
I got to know this pre-school from my babysitter, as she provided chauffeur service to a few of her children from her place to school. Hence, after the first week, we let Eunice follow my bbsitter's hubby to school together with all her friends. Again, I called to school to check on her. To my surprise, teachers said she never cries when she comes with her friends. She's always coming down the car happily with her smiley face. However, being a very very protective mother & also father actually (or whatever you called it), we actually went to school during lunch time to peep and make sure our daughter went onto the babysitter's hubby's MPV safely after school.
And, Eunice has officially been going to school since April 2013.Till now, I still think I was right to send her to school. She used to be very shy, but now she's much better. She used to sit aside or sit at a corner to watch others doing their dancing or exercise, but after a week or so, she started joining in. She learns a lot of things in the school. Because she joins 4yo class though she's only 3yo (that's why I didn't blog about it earlier), teachers didn't give her some of the homework or she didn't involve in some of the activities in school as they will be going through the same thing next year (when she officially joins the 4yo class). The comments from teachers have been very positive - she's mature, she's good in expressing herself, she could tell what she wants, she concentrates in class, and she listens to instruction and obeys instructions well. We were so proud. Teachers love her - we can see that when we drop her at school occasionally, and in our conversation with the teachers on some of her little accidents in school (fell down, cried when other kids knocked/hurt her, etc).
In July, the school had a field trip to turf club. I wanted to join but Nat fell sick at that time and I had to take care of her at home. Hence EG brought Eunice along. Parent did not need to follow actually but it was our first experience too so we wanted to follow. Eunice was all excited days prior. Kept counting down the days and told us she's going to see horses. I didn't go but from what EG told me, our little girl really behaved well among her friends, and she could be rather independent. *Grin*
July 2013 - Getting ready for her first field trip
July 2013 - Feeding horse :)
School has talent time show too. I didn't know what to let her perform, and I thought she is only 3yo, so we don't need to pressure her. I called in to the school to tell the teacher about it. Again, to my surprise, teacher Sandra told me that she has asked Eunice and Eunice told her she'd sing London Bridge is falling down. True enough, after she came back from school, she told us she went up to the stage, and talked through the microphone, saying "Good morning teachers and friends, my name is Eunice." And she started singing the song. A short one. It marked a great achievement for her.
Her school sends parents the weekly report with pictures in the class. It makes me feel very comfortable as I know what she learns or does in school every week. And every half yearly, there'll be a parent-teacher review, they called in Appraisal. We missed the first session since Eunice only joined in Q2, there weren't much to review then. So this is considered our first review. I was pretty impressed. All her teachers graded her in her "performance" in school. Since she's only 3yo, some areas are not applicable to her but the teachers praised her highly in her interest to learn, and her ability to express herself so well, in fact, too well for a 3yo. *Proud again!*
Report card :D
Absent for 6 days as we went to Australia for holiday
Review I
Review II
The last highlight of her being in the school is the Year End Party (YEP) that we had last weekend. It's a graduate party for the 6yo graduates, but the other students will be performing as well. Eunice has been telling us and showing us her dance moves at home. I was just so excited to see her perform on the actual day. However, I dare not mention much to her at home to avoid pressure on her - she needs to perform (together with her classmates of course) in front of 400 guests! And she's only 3yo! Gosh! But she makes us PROUD. She did really well. And she looked so cute in her lady bug costume. Kudos to the creative teachers who handmade those costumes (I heard).
Oct 2013 - Lady bug front view
Oct 2013 - Lady bug side view
Oct 2013 - Lady bug back view
Oct 2013 - Lady bug flipping her wings :D
12 Oct 2013 - Eunice on stage with all her schoolmates, singing a chinese song with sign language
We couldn't really take much pics of her acting as a lady bug on the stage as she flipped and walked back to the back stage rather quickly. And she's so small size. :D. However, I was glad that Eunice stood in front during the chinese song 快乐天堂 performance. I could take the video using my phone. She got distracted a few times trying to show her friends her daddy, and to greet us, and to show us the bangle that the teacher gave her. Ah, such a cutie pie. But we're really so proud of her that she could dance throughout the whole song. :)
During the year end party, the school put up a story board of the
Juniors class. It's so cute and so sweet. I feel so happy to know what
my girl has been doing in the school, and most importantly, that she
enjoys school so much.
I thank God for this opportunity for Eunice to attend a good school at 3yo. And I thank God for His blessing and protection over her that throughout her school days, she stays healthy and strong (except these two week - due to bad weather). I am also thankful that she picks up mandarin well - which is one of the main purposes that I wanted to send her to school. The teacher has "kick started the engine" and I just need to work a little bit more at home to get her to get used to the language. :).
If you ask me again, no, no regret sending her to school at 3yo. It was a great experience for both the parents, and my girl. :)
If getting married is a big decision in one's life, having children is a even bigger milestone in life! Having a life growing inside not only change us physically, mentally & our daily life routines, but it's also amazing that how we have grown closer to move forward for the new life ahead of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment